Zegrahm Expeditions newest expedition combines Peru’s Amazon River and Highlands for the ultimate experience in Amazon adventure travel. This unique 15-day itinerary explores both the lesser-visited Peruvian Amazon River and the Andean Highlands.
Zegrahm’s riverboat, the 28-passenger La Estrella Amazonica, will take you more than 600 miles on the Amazon and its tributaries. You’ll venture into the Pacaya-Samira Reserve, a protected area for more than 450 birds, 100 mammals, and 130 reptiles and amphibians. This cruise gives you one of the best opportunities to see the pink and gray river dolphins.
For the second half of your journey, you’ll take a short flight south to the Highlands and the dramatic scenery of Lake Titcaca and the Colca Canyon.
AMAZON RIVER AND ANDEAN HIGHLANDS HIGHLIGHTS
- Cruise the Río Ucayali, one of the best places in the world to find gray river dolphins and Amazon pink dolphins.
- Search for over 500 species of birds and more than 100 mammal species, including canary-winged parakeets, hoatzin, scarlet macaws, capybaras, and squirrel monkeys.
- Board local boats for a scenic cruise to Lake Titicaca’s floating island of Uros and the island of Taquile, known for producing exquisite textiles.
- Enjoy a bird’s-eye-view of Colca Canyon, one of the world’s deepest canyons, where Andean condors are commonly sighted.
- Tour the highlights of Lima – Plaza de Armas, the core of the old city; the church where Francisco Pizarro is entombed; and a meticulously-maintained 16th-century mansion.
LA ESTRELLA AMAZONICA RIVERBOAT
One full week will be spent aboard the luxurious, 28-guest La Estrella Amazonica, custom designed for cruising the Amazon and its tributaries.
Each river-view stateroom has a private balcony, ensuite bathroom, desk and ample closet space. The riverboat features a dining room, open-air bar and observation deck with 360-degree views, and fitness center.
The ship holds kayaks and two excursion boats on board, permitting travelers to venture out for in-depth exploration.
Zegrahm field director, Kevin Clement, will lead this expedition which takes place April 17 – May 1, 2015. For complete expedition highlights, itinerary, and pricing, please contact Global Travel Destinations.
SOURCE Zegrahm press release. Images copyright Zegrahm Expeditions.