AmaWaterways will journey through Colombia – the “Land of a Thousand Rhythms” – in 2024 on two new, stunningly designed ships, AmaMagdalena and AmaMelodia. AmaWaterways is the first major river cruise line to venture through Colombia along the magnificent Magdalena River.
The Magdalena River was described by Colombian Nobel Prize-winning author, Gabriel García Márquez, as the “River of Life.” Many explorers sailed along its northerly path, paving the way for trade and communication between the Andes and the Caribbean Sea.
Today, the river basin is home to approximately 80% of Colombia’s population, a melting pot comprised of Indigenous, European and African ancestry.
The new Magdalena River cruises will feature two 7-night itineraries sailing between Cartagena and Barranquilla. AmaMagdalena will launch in March 2024 and AmaMelodia will set sail in June 2024.
Prices for seven-night cruises start at $3,599 per person based on double occupancy.
Two New Boutique Ships
The new boutique river cruise chips are specially designed to maximize the picturesque views along the Magdalena River for a small group of passengers. The intimate AmaMagdalena will accommodate just 60 guests while the stunning AmaMelodia will accommodate 64 guests.
Both ships will offer extraordinary river cruise experiences with luxury accommodations and sweeping views. The spacious staterooms feature AmaWaterways signature twin balcony design, with both a French balcony and an outside balcony.
In addition, each ship will feature a Main Restaurant, a fitness center with three spa treatment rooms and a Sun Deck with a relaxing whirlpool.
Two Immersive Itineraries
Starting in Spring 2024, guests will have the choice between two seven-night itineraries sailing the Magdalena River between Cartagena and Barranquilla. Both itineraries provide curated experiences and excursions.
Highlights of these two itineraries include:
- Special Carnaval celebration in Barranquilla featuring vibrant live performances reserved exclusively for AmaWaterways guests.
- Historical walking tours in destinations including Mompox, a UNESCO Site preserved in colonial charm, where guests will be welcomed by an exclusive jazz performance.
- Birdwatching tours with more than 1,900 species of birds – including the Cianeguo hummingbirds and the Chauna chavaria – only found in the Colombia region.
- A Drum Rhythms and Freedom Historical tour in Palenque, historically named the first “free city” in the Americas, with renowned musical styles such as cumbia and vallenato.
- Witnessing the natural beauty of the great Magdalena basin, which includes many species of flora and fauna not found anywhere else on the planet.
On both 7-night itineraries, travelers will be welcomed by AmaWaterways’ extraordinary crew and a dedicated Cruise Manager. Guests will learn about Colombia’s fascinating culture; taste exquisite, locally sourced cuisine inspired by the Colombian Caribbean coast at every meal; and enjoy nightly onboard entertainment.
Travelers who would like to learn more about these new itineraries can contact us at Global Travel Destinations. We are accepting reservations for both Colombia itineraries.